Did you know Alanya has a very good climate for growing Avocados? More and more land is being developed for the cultivation of this wonderful fruit.
Avocados are among the healthiest food in the world. They sometimes suffer from a bad image containing too much fat. And that is actually true: an average sized avocado contains 138 calories and 14.1 grams of fat. But all these fats appear to have a lot of positive effects on the inflammatory system, heart and blood vessels and lower your cholesterol. In addition, the mineral content in avocados is very high, about three times higher than in other fresh fruits. And the high potassium level in avocados causes a lowering of the blood pressure. Moreover, an avocado contains a lot of vitamin C and vitamin E. Vitamin E works well against premature aging, arteriosclerosis and even against some types of cancer.
Did you know furthermore that:
- An avocado is a fruit and not a vegetable?
- An avocado doesn’t ripen on the plant but only after it has been picked?
- An avocado ripens faster in a paper bag with an apple or banana? Putting them together on a fruit bowl also has the same ripening effect, because bananas and apples give off a substance that makes avocados ripen faster.
- You should never put an unripe avocado in the refrigerator, because it does not ripen at cold temperatures.
- Avocados are ripe when they are a little soft. Avoid dark spots and cracks on the skin. If the avocado rattles, it means that the pit is detached from the fruit and the avocado is overripe.